Anxiety is something that many people everywhere face everyday. While there is no simple solution or “quick fix” for anxiety, there are strategies we can use and teach to others to help us cope, feel a sense of calm and reset so we can continue with our days.
Today we’ll be doing some nice simple calming breaths.
- Find a comfortable seated position, planting your feet on the ground and sitting up tall. You may close your eyes or keep your eyes open and focused during the exercise, whichever feels better to you. For some people, keeping their eyes open while feeling anxious may be the best bet.
- Place one hand, palm down on your chest, and the other hand on your back (back of hand should be laying on your back with your palm facing out.) If this is not within reach for you, place your second hand on your belly.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose. Feel your hands move apart as your rib cage expands. Feel your body filling up with air.
- As you exhale through your mouth, feel your hands moving back toward each other.
- Repeat this for 5 breaths, trying to lengthen the breath each time.
I hope you enjoyed this little mindful moment, and that it isn’t your last until next time.