School Year to Begin with 100% Virtual Learning
July 20, 2020
Dear Parents and Students of Dr. Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy,
As you may have learned in this past weekend’s news, the Milwaukee Health Department is not permitting any school in Milwaukee to open for face-to-face instruction this fall.
The rising cases of COVID-19 cases in Milwaukee and the disproportionately high number of cases in our family ZIP codes means that even with our social distance protocols in place, members of our community were not comfortable doing opening. Our family survey showed that only 20% of parents, 21% of teachers, and 40% of students reported that they felt safe returning to face-to-face instruction this fall. We simply had to consider the science of COVID-19 and the voice of the community.
As a result, we have decided that school will reopen virtually on August 31 for 100% distance learning. We hope that predictions for the fall will allow us to reopen for face-to-face hybrid instruction after October 30. If community spread shows to be under control by then, we will convene a parent meeting and in-person tour of the school to inspect our safety precautions to determine if reopening is possible.
Prior to the spike in positive cases, we had taken the recommended precautions from the Center Disease Control and were planning to offer a hybrid face-to-face, virtual instructional model which includes the following:
- Hybrid instruction — 2 days in school and 2 days of virtual instruction (2 grade levels in school at the same time);
- Removed walls to make classrooms larger to accommodate 6-ft distancing between student desks;
- Added webcams to offer live virtual instruction to students who need to remain home for school;
- Temperature checks at school entry and mandatory mask wearing;
- Students remaining in the same classroom, with the same group of students, to eliminate cross contamination of classrooms spaces, common areas and hallways;
- Handwashing stations and hand sanitizer throughout the school;
- Students’ use of personal water bottles to eliminate need to use water bubblers;
- Social distancing in the Union for lunch or bag lunches (depending on the community spread levels);
- Daily cleaning and weekly deep cleaning of the entire school; and
- Working with the health department to facilitate contact screening.
We had planned for live instruction during the virtual portion of hybrid instruction so that your child will have access to live instruction that they missed in the spring. As a result, we are able to move forward with a part of our planning.
Our 100% distance learning instructional model will offer:
- Live daily lessons and guided Personal Learning Time (PLT) with teachers;
- An adult mentor for every scholar and a 10:1 mentor to mentee ratio so that your child will have an adult in the school encouraging and supporting them every day;
- The ability to monitor grades and attendance every day using an app on your phone;
- Daily attendance;
- Access to counseling and college application support; and a
- A Chromebook for every student and a hotspot if the family needs Internet access.
As we did in the past, we will continue to issue credits based on grades earned and students with specific learning disabilities will receive their accommodations and modifications.
We are launching our technology career pathway this year. Students will have the opportunity to earn certification in Google and Microsoft Teams. These skills are part of our Technology Pathway leading to college classes that students can enroll in their Junior and Senior years. These courses will lead to a two-year certificate in a number of technology majors.
2020 Fall Orientation
We will host in-person orientation to the new systems and software beginning on August 15, 2020. Students who have Chromebooks from the spring should exchange them for newer models. August’s Orientation will also be an opportunity to provide updated emergency, transportation, and nutrition forms; and receive uniforms and other instructional materials (binders, notebooks, planners). Students who need a plan for credit recovery will be able to make an appointment to create that plan.
Like you, we are very disappointed that we will not be physically able to have our children, parents, and staff under the same roof for the first official day of school, but it is more important to keep everyone safe. It is equally important that we continue to provide a high quality education to all students. The education that your children will receive this year, whether it is virtual or in person, will be exactly that.
Principal Judith Parker
Virtual Learning Plan
School will reopen on August 31 and we expect to follow the 100% virtual plan until October 30, 2020. To view our Virtual Learning Plan, please click the button below.
Faculty and Staff Directory
To reach a faculty or staff member using email, please use the link below for our Faculty and staff directory.
Technology Help Desk
HFCA students and staff should submit a ticket to Technology Help Desk if they are experiencing issues with technology. For Chromebook check-outs, please contact William Attewell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholars can request an appointment with our Guidance Department by clicking the link below.
Dr. Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy
4030 N. 29th Street,
Milwaukee, WI 53216
PHONE: (414) 873-4014
FAX: (414) 873-4344
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Judith Parker, Principal
© since 2013 by Dr. Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy
Our Eight Character Strengths
- Social Intelligence
- Self Control