Information for Parents

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

• Inashelter,motel,vehicle,orcampground
• On the street
• Inanabandonedbuilding,trailer,orotherinadequateaccommodations,or
• Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then, your preschool-aged and school-aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

Your children have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enrollinschoolwithoutgivingapermanentaddress.Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enrollandattendclasseswhiletheschoolarrangesforthe transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
  • Receivethesamespecialprogramsandservices,ifneeded, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

When you move, you should do the following:

• Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education (see phone number below) for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)

• Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to
new circumstances.

• Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Local Area Contacts:

State Coordinator:

If you need further assistance, call the NationalCenterforHomelessEducation at the toll-free HelpLine number: