Dear MCA Families and Scholars,
We have kicked off the 2014-15 school year and we know it will be better than EVER! MCA has much to be excited about. The above photo shows English teacher Mr. Green leading our Friday Morning Shout Outs on September 12.
Here are a few opportunities to look forward to:
MCA has partnered with the Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs of Greater Milwaukee to have our own Community Learning Center (CLC) after school program. The CLC will offer tutoring, sporting activities, art programs, college readiness seminars, and character building trainings. This is an AMAZING opportunity for our scholars!
- Activities will take place Monday through Thursday from 3:30 to 7:00 p.m.
- Dinner will be included for students who participate.
- The site will officially open on Monday, September 15.
The CLC is an ideal way to keep our scholars active and productive after-school while making sure they are still on track for graduation. Scholars interested in participating must submit a completed application to participate in the program.
College Possible is a new program at MCA that will work with our 11th grade students with a 2.0 GPA or higher to make the leap to college. Students must complete an application to participate. The program will take place after school and will focus on college selection, personal statement writing, the financial aid process and much more. This program is great because once students are a part of it; they remain a part all the way through college! MCA is all about to and through college.
At the end of last year, we received valuable feedback from our parents and students. We listened and used your contributions as we planned this school year. I am excited to share a few changes that were made in response to your feedback:
- MCA has implemented mandatory Homework Club for scholars who do not complete and submit homework each day. Scholars will be required to stay after school to complete missed assignments and begin working on the next day’s homework. This will help keep our scholars on track for passing classes and earning credits toward grade promotion and graduation.
- MCA has implemented lunch detention for scholars who are late to school or class instead of after school detentions.
- MCA has implemented a bathroom pass system for emergency and urgent situations. Each scholar has received six bathroom passes for the semester that are only to be used for urgent situations. As we know, every minute in the classroom counts! We do not want scholars missing a learning opportunity.
We sincerely thank you for your feedback and support. Here is how you can stay connected:
- Attend our next Parent Council Meeting on Tuesday, September 23 at 5 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
- Follow us on Twitter at MKECollegiate or on Facebook at Milwaukee Collegiate Academy.
- Please share your positive experiences with MCA on GreatSchools.org.
- Finally, you can visit our website for the most up to date information at www.milwaukeecollegiateacademy.org.
We know that together we will make college graduation a reality for our scholars. Please feel free to reach out with any questions, concerns, thoughts or ideas at email@example.com or by phone at (414) 873-4014.
All the best,
Principal, Milwaukee Collegiate Academy